Alcohol Industry Climate Impact
Mexico's droughts worsen every year, and record level of low rainfall in the northern state this year highlight the water crisis impacting the region. However, breweries with federal water rights that last decades are 'ignoring the region's increasing droughts.' With Mexico being the largest importer of beer globally, (Modelo, Heineken, AB Inbev, Constellation Brands all manufacturing there), northern proximity to the US means optimal profits for them. Mexico's president has stated government will support production elsewhere , however 'they do not want to budge.' This is despite of locals suffering from water scarcity, poor sanitation, SME shutdowns and further consequences impacting livelhoods.
- Big Alcohol's Water Footprint in Mexico: Beer Production Fuels Water, Climate Crisis
- International Beer Faces Effects of Mexican Drought
- Severe drought puts stop to beer production in northern Mexico
Cancer Drug Development
GSK's capability to manufacture highly potent components for cancer treatments was official this week, with a $44m facility unveiled in Singapore this week. A key ingredient, (a cytotoxic agent in antibody drug conjugates) is being produced to treat a form of blood cancer affecting several parts of the body such as the spine and skull. This follows Novartis Pharma's licensing deal last month, the world's first for a cancer drug: to supply generic versions of nilotinib, a medication used to treat chronic myeloid leukaemia.
- GSK opens first high-potency facility in Singapore to produce drugs for cancer treatment
- Alembic gets USFDA nod for generic cancer treatment medication
- Novartis Pharma Signs World's 1st Licensing Deal For Cancer Drug
- Merck opts to develop, sell cancer vaccine with Moderna
3G Shutdown Lawsuits
The shutdown of 3G networks are causing a build up of lawsuits, notably for carmakers in recent weeks. Both Ford and Volksawgen are facing consumer lawsuits alleging they are refusing to pay for 4G upgrades to their customers cars. AT&T's 3G shutdown has halted connected services such as the 'MyFord' mobile app which allows consumers to 'to start, lock, unlock or locate their vehicles remotely.' BMW and Porsche are also subject to similar suits.
- Lawsuits over 3G shutdowns start piling up
- Automakers Hit With Class Actions Over 3G Shutdown
- Here's What the Demise of 3G Means for Car Owners
Thank you for reading! Don't forget to subscribe to our newsletter for more!